Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Some might call it an impulse, but not me...

I made the mistake the first time. I saw it and let it go. It was too expensive. It was perfect -- it called my name and I knew I had to have it, but I let it go. I was upset all the way home. IKEA had just opened across from the Mall of America. I waited a week or so before heading out there -- the mad chaos as seen on the news was not worth it. Finally, it was time.

I think I was with Molly. We went through the showroom with our mini pencils and paper rulers, saw lots of cool things, and then made it down to the marketplace where we could collect all the items we needed to take home. We made it pretty far through the marketplace, only grabbing what we really really wanted. And then we made it to the art section... and there it was. A huge canvas of Times Square, all in black and white, with one yellow cab (in color) driving across the front. I needed it. It was SO me. But alas, I let it go. It was a good $100 and I could think of plenty of other things I really could use more than another print of NYC. I left and have regretted it ever since.

Flash forward to tonight. Yes, another shitty day at work with three instances (that I can recall; there may have been more) of being bitched at by "her", dinner in Uptown at Chino Latino where seven of us racked up a $240 bill we would expense to the company, and then Tristan and I went over to Urban Outfitters. I had already been there before dinner to get a good deal on a pack of headbands, but thought I'd go back with her to see the rug she was getting for her new apartment.

We roamed around the first level a little so I could show her the headbands I had already brought back to my car and then we climbed the stairs (slowly -- we were, and I still am, SO full from dinner) to the second level to get her rug.

And then... there it was. Not the same canvas I saw at IKEA two years ago, but another. I didn't even think twice. It was mine. I had Tristan, who stands at least 4 inches taller than I, grab the one off the higher shelf -- the one on the reachable rack had some streaks on it. I took it downstairs and not even thinking twice, took out my credit card and swiped it. It was mine!

So ladies and gentlemen, while it is not the original canvas I regret not purchasing, I present to you my newest piece of art:



It's so me -- you don't even have to tell me twice! So here's to a good dinner (on the company dime) and an amazing new painting!

3 comments:

Molly said...

It's a perfect replacement for that missed opportunity way back when (and a reminder as to why I bought my canvas IKEA print as soon as I laid eyes on it).

Anonymous said...

hot!!!

Abigail said...

I had a dinner on my managers last night too! At Manny's.....funny. We seriously ordered 8 courses (well food was brought to the table 6 different times) It was crazy. I really dont' think I can eat today...I'm still really full and still hyped up on the double shot of espresso I had at 9pm. I think it helped me to wake up after a mere 4 hours of sleep. YAY FOOD!