Monday, March 19, 2007

"It's not personal. It's business."

On almost every single occasion I would never stick up for her, agree with her, or even really listen to what she is saying. But since she and the VP are on vacation together, I had no other choice than to fight the battle I knew she'd fight. I had no other option -- had I not, she would have come back from her ski trip and bitched at me for not saying anything. And just as I suspected, I stood up for what she would have wanted and in turn, got bitched out anyway.

I'm not one to really bitch about my job -- at least most days. I really can't. I work for a phenomenal company with more benefits than really necessary. While the company is amazing, the job is stressful. Tight deadlines, fire drill projects that get kicked off about 20 minutes before they are due, lack of communication, the list goes on. But I think what bothers me most is this coworker of mine.

No one can stand working with her -- other than one person -- with whom she is skiing in Colorado. How they can both be on vacation -- TOGETHER -- at the same time, none of us will understand. And just as suspected, while they are away, all hell breaks loose -- and of course, it fell on me.

We never agree on anything, she and I. And I knew this would be no different. She had every chance in the world to approve the clam shell packaging for the camera. She just decided (as she always does) to disregard URGENT emails. And because of this, I have to clean up the dirty work. Every single time. I have to come up with the solution to no real estate for packaging copy. I have to stand up to the product manager and fight a fight I know I will loose. I have to send the emails, look like the bad guy, and ultimately, look like the fool.

And I did just that -- twice now in one week. This last one, about the packaging, I knew she would fight, so I took the hit. I argued my ass off, came up with a solution to compromise both sides, and what happens? I get bitched at.

Last week -- we fought over a camera display image. "I don't like it" she says. Do I care if you don't like it? You are the only one that doesn't like it. Deal with it -- you don't have to "like" everything. The baby head is cute -- people like cute. But no -- the baby head is not good enough and now we are fighting over a back display image.

I am telling you -- she drives me crazy.

At the end of the day, I know, it's just a job. "It's not personal. It's business." I have the line taped to the top of my computer screen. "It's not personal. It's business."

So tomorrow, when I go back to clean up the rest of this mess, I will remember: "It's not personal. It's business"... and I will know my solution, as much as she hates it, was the right decision... and I will know I put up a good fight...



...and I will hope she falls on her ass down the ski hill. Then who will look like the fool?

No comments: