Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Botched Surprise...

I don't like surprises. I never have. My birthday is in a week and a half. Last year, Molly told me all I needed to know for the morning of my birthday was I needed to wear flip flops. I botched that surprise figuring out she was taking me to get a pedicure. Now, just shy of one year later, I have yet again botched a birthday surprise.

You see, about a week or so ago, Nathan and I started talking about him coming to visit for my birthday. Much to my dismay, it wasn't going to happen. This and that and the other thing just made it impossible. Or so I thought.

This morning at work I sent out the evite for my birthday celebration. A nice little get-together chez moi with drinks and food and just chillin'. 4:00 Sunday. All day people were viewing the evite, responding and the like. I thought nothing of the fact that both Nathan AND Allen had viewed the evite but not responded. The day went on -- a busy one, in fact -- and after work I headed over to the EPC to meet up with Allen, with whom I had dinner plans.

We met in Barnes and Noble and started walking around the mall. We went into the kitchen store (of course!) and Allen got a phone call. I hear Allen say, "Oh, just walking around the mall with my friend Lizzo." On the other end of the phone, I heard the response, "Oh, you're friend Lizzzzoooo?" I knew that voice. That's Nathan! I knew it was him. I know that voice.

All of a sudden Allen puts Nathan on speaker phone and they say they have something to tell me. First I was nervous -- no, I would not let Allen move away like the other boys. Then I was scared -- was everything ok? Then -- then it hit me! I got a huge smile on my face, both fingers crossed, jumping up and down with my eyes closed (yes, Allen will attest to all this) -- NATHAN'S COMING FOR MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

They had it all planned out -- a great way to surprise me -- the whole story planned. And I botched it. I planned my birthday party 30 minutes after Nathan has to be back at the airport Sunday. So I have to move my party -- big deal. NATHAN'S COMING!!

So I botched the surprise -- and that we're going to see Batman at the IMAX -- oops! But it doesn't matter how I found out. It was the best surprise ever and I still can't a) believe Nathan's coming and b) wipe the smile off my face.

So.... I am sorry I botched the plan.

But....

THANK YOU FOR THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER!!!



--

PS. You're both bastards for keeping this from me for TWO FULL WEEKS! :o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes we are. you are welcome. good night.