Tuesday, July 22, 2008

54 hours, 8 bottles, 1 weekend like the good ol' days

It was a birthday I would have never expected. I actually thought it was going to be a quiet one. While I did indeed turn a quarter-century years old, I really didn't have much planned. Dinner out with Molly for that smoked Gouda fondue I just can't get enough of... and maybe a small get-together with some friends.

Oh, how plans can change.

Nathan came to town -- totally out-of-the-blue -- to celebrate my birthday and to hang out. It was honestly just what I needed. I picked him up at the airport, Mohawk and all, and we headed back to start the weekend off right: dinner and wine. Allen showed up shortly thereafter, and we had more wine, dinner, more wine, and some good laughs. We watched "Batman Begins" in preparation for the IMAX showing of "Dark Knight" we were to see the night night... and it was as if nothing had changed.

Friday I had to go work - not by choice, I'll have you know. When I was finally allowed back to my apartment, I was welcomed with the best birthday cake ever -- a t-rex cake! We actually had a t-rex! We went for lunch, I let the boys nap, and we were off to dinner and the movie.

Dinner was awesome -- we scored some free dessert for my birthday and Nathan fanagled us two free glasses of wine. Then... we saw the movie. I have nothing to say about "Dark Knight" other than go see it -- right now -- and on the IMAX. We can discuss this later.

Saturday Nathan and I spent the day just hanging out. It was pretty much perfect. I got a new phone (love it!), we took a nap, and then I got the place ready for my party. Everyone came, everyone ate, and damn did Nathan and I drink.

Sunday we did the usual Cure-a-hangover-with-Al's and scored free breakfast (courtesy of Harry without him knowing!). Sunday afternoon and evening were to be as expected. I did take Nathan to the airport and all.

It was an amazing weekend. Allen gets props for the best birthday present ever: Nathan came to town. (Sorry Nathan, as much as I love you and the amazing book, you coming for the weekend.... I have nothing more to say.)

After 54 hours and 8 bottles of wine, it's safe to say I had a pretty amazing birthday.

Thank you boys -- I love you.


Now... it's off to Israel....

No comments: