Thursday, July 24, 2008

And we're off...

The dishes are washed and the dishwasher is empty. The last of the t-rex cakes is in the garbage, as well as the last of the pie, and desserts left from the birthday festivities. The trash is out and the bag packed with beer and wine bottles hits the recycling. The suitcase is ready, the pack is, well, packed, the cameras (yes, plural) are charged, the printer full of photo paper... believe it or not, I think I'm ready to go.

It's hard to believe we're leaving on Sunday. We've been talking about this for at least a year, once a week since February, and at least three times a day (thanks Stephanie!) for the past two months. But tonight it's real. Everything is set and ready to go. The ACs will go off, the refrigerator is pretty bare, and my desk at work is cleared off.

On Sunday, Stephanie and I will leave for a ten-day trek to Israel. This entire time I haven't let myself get excited, get my expectations so high they can't be reached. But now, as I sit here on the red couch, looking at my filled suitcase and day pack, I can't help but wonder what it's going to be like. Will I get the spiritual connection I want? Will the Land of Milk and Honey be fruitful? Will every moment I'm there connect me to my people, my history, my beliefs, my family... me? I can't even tell you how exciting (and yes, a little scary) it is...

Tomorrow: Appleton
Saturday: Chicago
Sunday-Monday: Eretz Yisrael

Oy!

1 comment:

Be the change you want to see said...

SAFE TRAVELS LIZZO!!! HAVE FUN!!!!