Wednesday, October 8, 2008

On Kol Nidre...

I'm not one to publicly go out and ask for forgiveness between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. It's never been my style. I am more the type that does it internally, has that conversation with whomever you believe is up there. There are no awkward converstaions or false forgivenesses. It's a time between me and the big guy.

This year, as I sat listening to the beautiful notes of the Kol Nidre service, I couldn't help but reflect on the year past. I sat and thought about everything my family has been through; about the ten days I spent at Israel -- the two times I davened at the Western Wall -- with tears in my eyes, not for any other reason than being totally overwhelmed with where I was; about my friends; about the scandal at my office; about this engagement and that engagement and my relationship; about him, and about you.

This year, I will go to shul alone on Yom Kippur, and frankly, I am glad. I am going for me. Tonight, Rabbi Allen reminded us that on Yom Kippur, we think about the people we are, the people we want to be. This year, as I look at everything goin on around me, I am glad I will able to go into this alone -- to have my day of attonement -- and to come out of the fast cleansed and ready to start a new year...

I wish each and every one of you an easy fast, and a sweet, happy, and healthy New Year.

L'shana tova.

No comments: