Sunday, October 5, 2008

By Popular Request...

So it has been requested I start posting recipes...

The rules:
  1. I will not post pictures. If you want to know if your recipe turned out like mine, take a picture and send it to me -- I'll tell you.
  2. If you try the recipe, comment and let me know what you think.
  3. I love garlic. I mean, I love garlic. When I make a recipe, I almost always add extra garlic. If I post a recipe, I will list the amount of garlic I used. Note this is almost always at least one clove more than the original recipe. If you don't love garlic, use one less clove than I note in the recipe.
  4. I don't eat red meat. If a recipe I think sounds yummy calls for red meat, I substitute chicken or ground turkey. You can do the same to the recipes I post here if you prefer red meat or want to mix it up a little.
  5. Most of these recipes I have found elsewhere and adapted to my liking. Adapt away -- it's how you find out what you like and don't like and it then becomes your own.
  6. Beteavon! (Bon appetit!)

Orange Chicken Stir-Fry*

What you need:
  • 1 orange
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 package chicken, cut into thin strips
  • 1-tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 large can mandarin oranges
  • 6 scallions, chopped, green parts only

How you do it:
  1. In a small bowl, zest and squeeze juice from orange. Add garlic and soy sauce.
  2. Toss sliced chicken in cornstarch until coated. Heat 1-tablespoon oil in a large. Brown chicken (add more oil if necessary); transfer to a plate.
  3. Pour juice mixture into skillet and heat until bubbly, about 1 minute. Return chicken to skillet; add mandarin oranges and scallions. Toss until coated and heated through
*This recipe originally called for 1-1/2 lb. sirloin or rib-eye steak. I substituted chicken.

2 comments:

Robyn Straub said...

I love it!

Anonymous said...

i too love this idea. may i make a suggestion? ill except a yes on that and make it here ;-)

...maybe you could(should?) post if a recipe calls for red meat, so the readers know what the original intent was for, and clearly its worth talking about if you swapped chicken into it, hmm?