Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Music is an amazing thing...

There's nothing like the feeling of a song that takes you back... to an exact moment that only a song or maybe a smell can take you. I love that music has that effect. I love that I can listen to a song, album, or artist in general and can go back in time...

Music can be good like that... but it can also haunt you like that. I love to share music -- one of my old roommates and I make evenings out of it - sitting around listening and yes, sharing music. I do it all the time. We all do. But what happens when you have a moment or experience music takes to you back to that you don't necessarily want to forget, but that you'd rather the music did not remind you of. (I'm not sure that came out clearly, but I'm leaving it at that.)

One of my favorite artists released a new album today. Naturally, after work I picked it up. This artist was introduced to me years ago. It reminds me of that time -- that relationship - and our relationship now. Amazing -- then and now. But I also shared it. Almost that pay it forward concept. As I listened to the new album on my rush-hour drive home, I had the initial "way back when" memories, but it also took me back to not so long ago -- and I am not sure it was a good thing. I don't regret sharing the artist -- everyone should at least give it a try -- nor do I regret the relationship during which I did the sharing -- I learned a lot from that relationship. But I can't help but wish I didn't think about it when I listened... that I only thought about before... when it only meant him and not... him.

So I guess what I want to know is -- how do we move beyond the music -- how do we listen to a song, an album, an artist and only see one side of it. I don't think it's possible. But if you find a way, let me know...

---

To you: no, I am not trying to hurt you any more than I know I already did and I'm sorry if that's the way this sounds. It's just what music does to me.

And to you: yeah yeah yeah, I'm fine and over it and know you know exactly what I am talking about with all that crap above.

And to you, who I know doesn't read this -- thank you for introducing me to this one and ultimately making me love, understand, and appreciate music on so many levels.

No comments: