Friday, April 20, 2007

What happens to an 18-hour bra after 18 hours?

18 hours is a long time. And for me, a really long time to be wearing a bra. That being said, I had never tried out the 18-hour bra, so I thought in order to answer the posed question, I should do some research.

I walked to isles of the store, looking for said bra. After finding it amidst the million other brands claiming they’ll do wonders for the shape and size of your breasts, I found the Playtex display of 18-hour bras.

Most of us may not know, but the 18-hour bra actually comes in a box. It does not hang on the pegs making it easy to see the full thing. Instead of fighting with hangers and bra straps, you have to dig through the rows of boxes (which don’t seem to be in any sort of order at all), find the correct size and color, and then take it out of the box to see if the image on the box does the actual bra justice.

After finding the bra and the correct size, I weaved my way to the fitting room. It was time – time to try it out, hoping I like it enough to take it home and try it out for the 18 hours the bra is known for and really see what would happen for the remaining 6 hours of the day. So I put it on, looking in the mirror, and took it off. What a horrifying bra. Not only was it not comfortable at all, it was uglier than on the box and really made my boobs look pointy. Not worth it. So my scientific experiment ended right then and there in the fitting room.

However, I could not just leave it at that. I got to thinking about the 18-hour bra on my drive home. I thought about the other aspect of the 18-hour bra and it dawned on me. The 18-hour bra does not come with an underwire. What does the bra do those other 6 hours its advertising omits? It recovers from the pervious 18 hours of holding up breasts sans underwire and takes a break to regain the strength for the next 18 hours! It’s got to be tough – being a bra – holding up all that breast for so long. Those last 6 hours must indeed be spent preparing for the next 18. It’s a vicious cycle, but someone or something has got to do it.


I have all confidence you will master this one in all ways possible: If you had to be the underwear of someone famous, who would you choose to wear you?

1 comment:

Nick said...

I choose Angelina Jolie's bra(s). It might be a big, tough job but it could be worse (read worth it). You'd get to travel all over the world, be made of expensive materials, and have lots of days off (apparently).