Thursday, June 25, 2009

Five restaurant reviews and a near-death experience...

It's been a long week of dining out, folks. Not that I have all the money in the world to spend on dining out or that I hate cooking so much (both very untrue), but in the last week I've had dinner plans quite often.

Last Thursday my Eat It! dinner group went to Santorini. While I could have done without the spanikopita, the trio of dips was amazing. We had the Spicy Feta – Creamy feta with olive oil and hot peppers; Tirosalata – Fresh herbs, peppers and feta cheese; and my personal favorite, Melitzano – Salata – Roasted eggplant with garlic and oil. Not to mention the amount of wine I had. Woah.

Saturday night David and I went to Redstone, where we had the amazing smoked gouda fondue and two desserts. It was awesome. Enough said.

Tuesday night I met up with an old coworker from the U. We went to Amazing Thailand in Uptown. This place was awesome. First, let me tell you about the Tuesday Happy Hour from 4-11p. Definitely worth it. For dinner I had the Pineapple Fried Rice. Delishous. It does indeed come in the pineapple and is enough for at least four meals. And... when the little man wrapped my leftovers, he actually wrapped the entire pineapple half.

Wednesday night my dinner plans were canceled, but my day at the office was miserable so I went to Happy Hour with Amy, then to Tristan's for a drink, and then to Burger Jones for some greasy apps and a beer. While Tristan was really excited about going back here for the cheese curds, and from what I understand the burger Tristan and Jas shared was pretty good, I was not impressed. The fries were soggy and nowhere as amazing as the garlic parm fries David and I had in SanFran, the cheese curds were just... different... and the onion rings were THICK. Not that the apps were bad, I was just hoping for more. Saving grace: Rice Krispie Treat Milkshake, and of couse, the Bells Two Hearted Ale.

Tonight Allen and I went to Prima, where I had my favorite sandwich and salad, which does not need explination.

So my dining out has come to an end.. it's time to get back in the kitchen... or out at the grill! I'm a little appauled with the amount of food out I've eaten in the last week, but it was well worth it to see all my friends... and who doesn't like to dine out!


Now --- the near-death experience. (Ok, so it wasn't a near-death experience, but it was super funny and I could have been injured pretty badly!) Last night when Jas picked Tristan and myself up at Tristan's apartment, she was on the phone. Tristan got in the front and I opened the back passenger door to hop in the back. The seat was full, so I had to move some stuff to the other side. Well... Tristan closed her door, and Jas thought she heard two doors close, so started to drive off.... with me hanging out the car. Tristan and I screamed "JAS" and she said, "Woah. John, I have to go... I just about ran over Liz." That's right, my friends, Jas started to drive off with me only half in the car! Good thing the door was open and she was going forwards, not backwards. Had she been in reverse, I would have been a pancake on the ground.

Nice work, Jas. Next time, get off the phone and check to see all passengers are in the car before driving off!

No comments: