Sunday, August 23, 2009

Second time, still no charm...

I don't often find a restaurant where I am disappointed, I really don't.

A couple years ago, maybe two or three, Harry and I tried out a new place that went into what was Betty's Bikes and Buns, on the corner around the block from my Northeast apartment.

Brasa, a new southern-style rotisserie joint, had just moved in and we thought we'd best try it out. Who doesn't love the idea of rotisserie meats and southern side dishes. I forget what Harry had... I know it included the cheesy grits and fried plantains. I had chicken and a side or two. Harry loved it.. I wasn't overly impressed and was in no rush to go back.

Tonight, some friends and I went to the newer St Paul location to celebrate a birthday. Again, not overly excited to go back, I went anyway, of course, to see everyone and celebrate. I opted for the black beans and yellow rice, with a corn muffin and honey butter. I wans't going to spend the extra money on the unimpressive chicken I had before. And again this time, I was not overly impressed. It's rare I slam a restaurant, but there was nothing special about anything at the table. I could have easily made these dishes... and better. Though the sweet tea was amazing, no reason to go back.

So that's the scoop. Try it if you want... and let me know what you think... but twice was more than enough for me.

No comments: