Monday, February 4, 2008

A weekend in review...

It was one of those weekends you really don't want to end. We hadn't seen each other in over a year and a half, though the moment I picked him up at the airport it was as if no time had elapsed. We picked up right where we had left off. Though he was in town for a lesson and audition for a doctoral program at the U, we made it a long weekend, both taking off work and/or school. It was great.

Sunday we had an "us" day. Friday and Saturday had been jam packed with clarinet, seeing a couple of mutual friends, and taking care of everything that had to get done around his audition, we decided to make it our day and just spend it together. We had bagel and lox at my place, then I took him to see St Louis Park -- the area of the cities where he wants to live to be in walking distance of a shul. We moseyed through Fishmans, the kosher grocery store, and a Judaica shop, then headed to Uptown to the Walker Art Museum. We spent the afternoon at the museum - if you haven't been there, go. And if you're a writer, bring something in which to write. I will go back and I will write. We finished the Walker, noting we'd have to go back and take it all in again, and went back to my place to relax for a bit. Sunday night was Hot Date Night, so we got all prettied up (yes, I wore a skirt!) and went out for a really nice, quiet dinner. Yes, we watched part of the Super Bowl, but were both more interested in spending the evening together than watching the game (being Packers fans and all). We had an amazing dinner, came home, and just hung out -- I successfully drank an entire bottle of wine and felt amazing. It was truly a day perfect for the two of us.

Today was a quieter day. The weather was shitty -- there was even a moment or two we thought his flight might get canceled and he'd have to stay other night. We bared the cold and snow to grab a nice kosher-style lunch at Pastrami Jack's and came back and just hung out. Eventually I had to take him to the airport. I did so well, holding it all in until after I gave him a hug, told got home. I hopped back in my car, made sure he made it inside the airport, and drove away. Then I cried -- all the way home.

It was an amazing weekend I really didn't want to end. So thank you for the best weekend I've had in a long time. I love you and can't wait for you to come back...

No comments: