Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Awkward

Talk about an awkward lunch! I just got back from an hour and forty-five minute lunch with she-who-shall-not-be-named. Why we went to lunch just the two of us at one of the most amazing Petters-affiliated dining abodes, I will never fully understand, but we did. And awkward it was.

First I shall detail my meal, as Redstone deserves all the credit in the world. I had a rotisserie chicken chopped salad consisting of fire wood pulled chicken, cornbread croutons, grape tomatoes, golden raisons, and sweet corn, tossed in a honey lime vinaigrette. It was a decent salad (though does not even come close to the amazing Chopped Salad at Tucci Bennuch). Then I also had a slice of the cornbread with maple butter. Now, I think I’ve detailed this cornbread once before, but good lord is it amazing. I could have had that and my diet coke and been happy. She had a bowl of chicken-tortilla soup and a flatbread pizza, as well as a slice of the cornbread and a diet coke.

The meal, delicious. The lunch itself, awkward. We really don’t have much to talk about at all. We made small talk about high school (she’s going to her 20-year reunion this weekend) and she asked about my love life (what the hell?), I made a joke about hers (take that!), and we talked about the bridge collapse. I knew she was holding back, I knew she wanted to talk about work. And finally, after they cleared our plates and the check was paid, she did. She asked about my work with the other team, I answered very little. She can’t really know yet. She asked about my current team, what I liked, what I didn’t like. I again answered very little. She asked about her, what I liked, what I didn’t like. Again, I answered very little. I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut – that when I open it with her, it comes back and kicks me in the ass later. So I was pretty quiet. She asked my opinion of two other temps – two we are trying to decide between. I said very little. I know she could tell, but I didn’t really care. I knew she wanted more details, to know what I was really thinking, what I am really doing with my job and what I have in store… up my sleeve, but I was wise – didn’t say much.

Finally she gave up. We left. The ride back to the office was strange too – we both were pretty quiet. I know I’ve used the word one-too-many times, but it was awkward. Plain old awkward.

No comments: